Tuesday, June 6, 2017
More Carb Updates, Comparisons and Thoughts...
It's now Day 6 of higher carb and I decided to really look at the past 6 days and see how I felt to compare it to low carb/keto.
Yesterday the scale slid up a little but I could deal with it, today the scale slid up a lot and that bothers me but I know weight fluctuates so I'm not freaking out, just keeping an eye on everything.
So... here's what I'm finding so far...
1) I felt better physically on days where I kept my carbs in the 60's rather than 70's and 80's and the 91 net carb day wasn't so great by the end of the day. I started feeling sick, sleepy and lightheaded so I definitely don't want to go that high up again for now.
2) I had a lot of energy for the gym but I've also found myself napping more this week than I do on lower carb/keto and sleeping much more. This is bothering me because it interrupts my day and just leaves me feeling exhausted despite all the extra sleep.
3) I'm still not binging or cheating which is awesome but I can feel the cravings starting up at the back on my head. I'm ignoring them for now but the thing I miss about low carb/keto is that I didn't have those cravings most of the time.
4) I'm not miserable or unhappy with what I'm doing right now and I don't want to go back to being miserable and unhappy :/ But I also want to be healthy and lose weight but I want to feel good about my plan. I like feeling content and relaxed and like I'm not failing but I don't want that to lead to me becoming complacent and letting foods slip in that shouldn't be there.
5) My head feels better with more carbs (not counting weather headaches) but my stomach isn't nearly as happy with them (IBS and all sorts of other fun stuff) so it's a fine line to walk.
6) I've also noticed that my protein intake has really dropped once the carbs went up so I need to work on that area more. And I've found myself eating less fruits and veggies and more "bread-like" foods so even though they're fitting my macros, and they're not, like, pastries and donuts and stuff, they're still not the best for me.
6) The other thing I'm finding is that, psychologically, if my macros show that I'm under 50 grams of carbs I go out of my way to eat more carbs because I can and this concerns me. It's not because I'm hungry or there's a meal time coming up, it's because I see those carb available to me and I suddenly want to use them all. I didn't have that issue with being on lower carbs.
So, in conclusion, I think I'm going to drop the numbers a little and it keep it at 65 carbs total and probably 50 net and under and see what happens. That's not keto but it's also lower carb and I want to see how I feel around those numbers and the best part is that I don't have to deal with detoxing again because I've been pretty good about my simple carbs and sugars!